Trained by the prestigious Davis Arden Hills Racing Team (known as DART), 10 local swimmers have successfully made the Olympics trials cut and are going for the gold.
Known for incredibly fast, exciting and suspense-filled competitions, the talented athletes are scheduled to compete in the 2016 U.S. Olympic Team Trials June 26-July 3 in Omaha, Nebraska, in hopes of representing the United States at the upcoming Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
According to USA Swimming, the 2016 Olympic Team Trials rank as the biggest swimming competition in the country, the results of which will determine who will represent Team USA.
The community at large is encouraged to keep watch and cheer on the amazingly talented local DART swimmers who have qualified thus far, including:
- Emma Barksdale, University of South Carolina – 200-meter & 400-meter individual medley, 200-meter breaststroke
- Chenoa Devine, Davis High School – 400-meter & 800-meter freestyle, 400-meter individual medley
- Amalie Fackenthal, Sacramento Country Day – 50-meter freestyle
- Tara Halsted, Stanford University – 200-meter fly
- Sonny Fierro, University of Pacific, Stockton (Fall 2016) – 400-meter freestyle
- Halladay Kinsey, Folsom High School – 200-meter breaststroke, 200-meter & 400-meter individual medley
- Paige Maynard, University of South Carolina – 100-meter fly
- Jonathan Leopold, Olympic Club – 100-meter breaststroke
- Carissa Metcalf, UC Santa Barbara – 100-breaststroke
- Matt Whittle, UC Berkeley – 100-meter & 200-meter breaststroke
In addition — and with the Summer Olympics less than four months away — many other talented are headed soon to qualifying meets as well.
Open to all swimmers with athletes being placed according to skill level, the Davis Arden Hills Racing Team (DART) has a year-round USA Swim Team that is recognized by USA Swimming as a Silver Medal team, one that is classified in the top two percent of all teams in the United States.
First opened in 1954, Arden Hills has trained an amazing number of world champion swimmers. In fact, athletes that have trained at Arden Hills have collectively set more than 200 world and American records, earned 31 Olympic medals, 21 gold, seven of which were won by legendary swimmer Mark Spitz.
For more information about Arden Hills, please visit ardenhills.net or call 916-482-6111.